About an Armoire

Thursday, March 20, 2014


 Originally, I had no idea where I was going to put our armoire. I was absolutely going to incorporate it somewhere, but it isn't small so I couldn't just shove it in some corner and be done with it. Besides the fact that I think it's a lovely piece, it has history. It was my husband's childhood armoire, and when we were first married it came with him. In our first home, we had it in our master bedroom. Then, it got a makeover and went into my youngest son's nursery.

It gets around.

In our new home (which happens to be house #2 for us) I couldn't see it fitting in to our master bedroom or either of the boys' rooms. 

Dilemma.

But our living room is quite big, and once I saw it sitting in the living room I knew it had found its new home! 

Now, I know that it's part of a bedroom set and not intended for a living room... but I really don't care. I like it in there! Besides, isn't this an exciting time in the world of home decor... a time of 'rule breaking' and following your little decorating heart?!

Yes, yes it is. Thank goodness!

Obviously, my rule breakin' isn't too extreme... yet... but stick around, it's bound to get crazy!

Anyways, rambling here.

So, our little armoire had found its new home and all was well with the world... but the longer I looked at it... the more it bugged me. 

Not so much the armoire itself, but its color.


*Please excuse the random cardboard wrapping paper thingy, but my house has little ones who love to add their own flair to things ;)

I knew from the beginning that I wanted this new house, our new home, to be filled with light. I wanted to walk in to each room and it feel like a breath of fresh air. I love color, don't get me wrong, but I wanted it in splashes, here and there. I wanted the color in each room to pop when I wanted it to. I wanted our furniture, wall colors, flooring etc to each have character but also serve well as a canvas. So that at any time I could splash colors here and there, and they would really stand out. And once I was tired of those splashes, I could easily change them.

I was really loving the progress of the living room, but the pieces just weren't meshing as well as I'd hoped. Every time I walked into the living room, my eyes were immediately drawn to the armoire. And it wasn't giving me the light, airy feeling I was searching for. 

Time for a makeovah!

I consulted with a couple of family members about my plans to paint the armoire a really light color... white to be exact. My grandmomma was most concerned. She was afraid it would all be 'too light.' I had to admit, I had the same fear... the fear of blandness.

But my heart longed for a change, and caution to the wind, I went for it!

Once more, the before picture, for comparison.

Drum roll, please..............


Ahhhh, there it is! That 'breath of fresh air' feeling I was searching for! 

At last, my vision realized. Coming to life before my eyes. 

My heart soared, birds sang, and this little house wife was finally at peace.

For like, 2 seconds, before realizing my next project for this room.

But boy were those 2 seconds super fulfilling!


This room still has a loooong road ahead of it, but she'll get there... one day at a time, one project at a time...

In the meantime, I'll be here... planning, plotting my next move

:)

-Amanda

20 comments:

  1. Love love love your DIY's especially this one! We live in an apartment and trying to get the same cottage-y and cozy feeling is that little bit harder, but you have inspired me to try to get a homey feeling to my walls with stripes or planks! Also just wanted to say you have an awesome blog, with such great energy, and cant wait to see your house transform into a cozy oasis. Keep it up!

    -Oksana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you not paint the feet of the armoire? Just curious. Looks awesome! Much better in white! I too am in the process of trying to get that light and bright feeling. I have also thought about starting a blog for my adventure. Haven't took the plunge yet tho. I will add you to my feedly list. We have the same taste! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes!! This was the thing I was searching for, pretty great…. Making The Bread

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really a nice and helpful piece of information. I'm glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this.
    I buy houses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you please share what color your wall paint is? I love the look of you living room

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finicky post! I am too surprised to see this blog; I want to get more information can you please add more things? foothillpainting.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan. I Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!
    denver real estate agent

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have got some great posts in your blog. Keep up with the good work.
    Mold Inspector Chicago Land Area

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice and very informative information in your blog and thank you for sharing it.
    vertical blinds

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice article and informative as well. for few of people like me this article is really helpful.
    property management Manchester NH

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting blog all information are very important for me about the real estate and i really need it thank you.
    Buy home Wilmette

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really thankful for this wonderful and informative blog about the real estate and i really enjoys it.
    Property in calefornia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Valuable information which you have providing about the fredericksburg homes for sale i really appreciate it and really enjoy it.
    fredericksburg va homes for sale

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice blog and your all presenting information are very great and it's really good well done.
    NJ Realtors

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice work and all information about the house property for sale that's are very amazing well done.
    homes for sale in elbert county co

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing such valuable and helpful information and knowledge! This gives us more insights and inspiration. Looking forward to seeing more updates from you.

    Spray Gun

    ReplyDelete
  18. “ woodworking pro weebly ” (Google it)
    This woodworking book contains a great deal of details about wood working. The book also shows several designs and explanations on the materials useful for different woodworking processes and the directions on completing different processes properly. In other words, I`m happy using this book, specially in the procedure of understading about wood working.?
    Arbor Projects ,
    Adirondack Chairs ,
    Artwork Display ,
    Bathroom Unit ,
    Box Designs ,
    Billiard/Pool Table ,
    Barn Plans ,
    Bed Plans ,
    Bedside Cabinets ,
    Bee Hive Plans ,
    Bench Projects ,
    Bird Feeders ,
    Birdhouse Plans ,
    Boat Plans ,
    Book Case Plans ,
    Baby Changing Table ,
    Coat Rack ,
    Cabin Plans ,
    Cabinet Plans ,
    Carport Plans ,
    Cart Plans ,
    Cat House Plans ,
    CD/DVD Holder ,
    Cellar Projects ,
    Chair Plans ,
    Chest Designs ,
    Chicken Houses
    Childrens Room Plans ,
    Clock Plans ,
    Coasters ,
    Coffee Table Designs ,
    Cold Frame Plans ,
    Compost Bin ,
    Computer Desk ,
    Containers ,
    Cradle Projects ,
    Small Crafts ,
    Cutting Board ,
    Deck Plans ..

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a blog to watch for sure. I think you have a really awesome writing style by the way. Very easy to read. Your blog design is so clean too! Thank you all the hard work!

    Concrete builder Watsonville

    ReplyDelete
  20. This blog in very informative for us

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground